13-2031.00 - Budget Analysts
|Median wages (2008)
||$31.41 hourly, $65,320 annual
|Projected growth (2006-2016)
Average (7% to 13%)
|Projected need (2006-2016)
||19,000 additional employees
Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations. Analyze budgeting and accounting reports for the purpose of maintaining expenditure controls.
Sample of reported job titles:
Budget Analyst, Budget Officer, Budget and Policy Analyst, Chief Financial Officer (CFO), Cost Accountant, Staff Analyst, Accounting Supervisor, Budget Coordinator
- Direct the preparation of regular and special budget reports.
- Analyze monthly department budgeting and accounting reports to maintain expenditure controls.
- Provide advice and technical assistance with cost analysis, fiscal allocation, and budget preparation.
- Examine budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations.
- Summarize budgets and submit recommendations for the approval or disapproval of funds requests.
- Review operating budgets to analyze trends affecting budget needs.
- Consult with managers to ensure that budget adjustments are made in accordance with program changes.
- Compile and analyze accounting records and other data to determine the financial resources required to implement a program.
- Perform cost-benefit analyses to compare operating programs, review financial requests, or explore alternative financing methods.
- Interpret budget directives and establish policies for carrying out directives.
back to top
Tools & Technology
Tools used in this occupation:
Technology used in this occupation:
|Accounting software — Deltek Costpoint; Hyperion Enterprise
|Data base user interface and query software — Microsoft Access; On line analytical processing OLAP software; Relational database software; Structured query language SQL
|Enterprise resource planning ERP software — Microsoft Dynamics GP; NetSuite NetERP; Oracle PeopleSoft Enterprise software; Sage Software Active Planner
|Financial analysis software — Budget monitoring systems; Microsoft FRx; Oracle Corporate Performance Management CPM software; Satori Group proCube software
|Presentation software — Microsoft PowerPoint; SAP Crystal Xcelsius
|Time accounting software — Payroll software; Time and attendance software; Valiant Vantage